A Year Later, Industrial Safety Ordinance is on Council’s agendaBy Roger Straw, May 13, 2018
Almost exactly a year ago (on 05/23/17), Benicia Mayor Elizabeth Patterson succeeded in requesting that Council direct staff to agendize future Council discussion of drafting and adopting a community Industrial Safety Ordinance. The Council voted 4-1 to approve and calendar further discussion.This was the first step in Benicia’s cumbersome 2-step process for a Councilmember or Mayor to agendize a new topic.
Well, it has taken a year, but the good news is that this item will finally come up on the June 19, 2018 Council agenda. Mark your calendar and plan to attend! And WRITE! (click here for info on where to write)
Benicia needs an ISO: three important points to be madeBy Roger Straw
1. We don’t know what is in the air, and we have asthma rates three times the state average. We need air monitors NOW, and state/regional regulations will be slow in coming.
2. ISO is budget neutral for the City.
3. We need the experts that an ISO will provide, participating as equals at the table reviewing documents and regulations on our behalf.
Check out the Benicia Independent ISO page for way more information. And show up at City Council on June 19th! And please write to the news media, social media, and/or City Council members – (click here for info on where to write).
Here are the relevant documents from May of 2017:
- Mayor Patterson’s 5/23/17 request for Council discussion of a Community Industrial Safety Ordinance
- City Council minutes of 5/23/17: excerpt approving future agendizing of “discussion of drafting and adopting an Industrial Safety Ordinance” (1st step in 2-step process)
For much more, see Benicia Independent’s ISO Page (letters from concerned Benicians, original documents, video and much more).